Tuesday, October 27, 2009

What Do You Believe?

Let me preface this by making you very aware that I am no theologian. While I desire to study and understand as much as God allows, my beliefs explained below are merely an accumulation of scriptural study and my personal experiences.

What you believe determines what you live for. I did say what YOU believe - not what your parents, your pastor, your boyfriend, or your friends believe. If you are relying on the beliefs of someone else, I am praying right now that God will make you aware of that crutch and BREAK IT. The old saying says, "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything." What are you standing for? Or maybe you should ask yourself, "What am I falling for?" Take a step of faith. Ask your Creator for the faith to even take that step. Be courageous and explore what you believe. Question your routines & question your thoughts so you can develop your VERY OWN set of beliefs.

I believe in the HOLY SCRIPTURES because 2 Peter 1:20-21 tells me that "no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God." In 2 Timothy 3:16, I find further assurance that "all scripture is inspired by God." I believe because of the truth & consistency that has been evident to me as I read God's word for myself. I pray to my God for wisdom & faith, and the promise of Jesus' words in John 7:17 has become truth in my soul as I have sought with all my heart for His will.

I also believe that there is ONE TRUE & LIVING GOD! I believe because this truth has been passed down among generations for thousands of years (take a look in the Old Testament). I believe because the entire Bible is consistent with this truth. I believe because there is NO other explanation for the creation and existence of life on this earth that I am willing to put my faith in and bet my life on. I also believe because there is not a mental game complex enough to explain how my life changed when I accepted the love of my Father. Nothing in this world could have freed me of the guilt and shame my lifestyle had created. Nothing of any human power could align my innermost thoughts and desires with outward opportunities. For that matter, nothing of human nature could even create in me the desires of my heart. Human nature is selfishness but God is love, selflessness, and humbleness.

I believe that God created me through "divine surgery" (see Genesis 2), and I find my greatest comfort in Psalm 139. "For [God] formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother's womb... For I am fearfully & wonderfully made; Wonderful are your works, and my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth; Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; and in Your book were all written the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them."

No comments:

Post a Comment