Sunday, November 15, 2009

Bible Characters: Real Humans?

As God has been teaching me about Himself, I’ve encountered a multitude of “Ah ha, whoa” moments. The very first, distinctive moment that God used to grab my attention came while reading Francine River’s series, Mark of the Lion. This trilogy is set shortly after Christ’s resurrection, and the plot is centered on a young Hebrew slave woman, Hadassah. It was through these books, that portray a society as lost as ours today, that God crumbled the walls I had built around my heart. My approach to the Bible was with overwhelming fear. I never knew where to start reading, and honestly in my head, I had allowed the stories and lives of the Bible to represent merely fairy tales and nursery rhymes. Through Francine Rivers, God knocked me off my feet and left me begging for more understanding of what the world was like when Jesus walked here. God, of course, began showing me how to study the Bible and how to approach scripture prayerfully, in an effort to see the bigger picture. God has allowed me to read about Noah, David, John, Mary, Paul, and so many others with the understanding that they are real humans with real emotions and real temptations, and He has burned my heart up with a desire to know more and relate personally to them in the places where God used them.
The trilogy is weaved completely around the unwavering faith Hadassah has in God. For the first time, God revealed to me what true, earth shaking, mountain moving faith looks like! And the best news is that God didn’t leave me hanging to wish I could have a faith like a character in a fiction book. He has been teaching me about the faith of His people through history, and He taught me that with faith, the word impossible can be removed from my vocabulary. He has brought passionate, determined, expectant faith into my life. He has brought me to life in Him!

For nothing is impossible with God. Luke 1:37

No comments:

Post a Comment