Saturday, February 13, 2010

Prepared in God’s Fortress of Protection

"The LORD is My Rock, and My Fortress, and My Deliverer; My God, My Strength, in Whom I will trust; My Buckler, and the Horn of My Salvation, and My High Tower" Psalm 18:2

A recurring conversation I’ve had with college women focuses on their desire to find contentment in singleness. While I was talking to one particular friend last night about her longing to have a boyfriend, she came around to the conclusion that she simply desires to be pursued. The lack of physical pursuit in her life has led her to pick herself apart and question why she “isn’t good enough”.

As that sentence was coming out of Alyssa’s mouth, God gave me a glimpse of her from His vision. I imagined her physically being pulled close to the chest of God, Him clinging to her as He squeezed His daughter in His arms, calmly whispering His truths into her heart.

My friend, along with most of us women, battles the devil daily with self esteem issues as her spirit longs to please her Lord and live a life set apart from our cultural norm. Her flesh, however, often confuses contentment in college for the lifestyle of the “typical sorority girl who has it all together”. Taking her battles with the devil’s lies, along with her desire to be pursued by a man into account, God revealed Himself to me last night as our Protector.

In the depths of Alyssa’s soul, she desires to love God with all her heart and to find her contentment in Him alone. Though her flesh battles with the desires of the world, she is still a precious daughter of our Heavenly Father, and He has surrounded her in His mighty fortress. Alyssa is weak in her self image, but God pursues and draws His creation near to Him as He affirms her identity as His child with all spiritual wisdom and understanding so that she will walk in a manner worthy of the Lord. God is building Alyssa up to be a woman of God, set apart from the ways of our culture, full of purpose and passion, with eager desire to give every ounce of her life over to His Lordship. God has begun a transformation in Alyssa, and His power is working in her to strengthen her in His Spirit alone.

Until God has completed Alyssa's initial preparations for the path she will take with or without a man of God alongside her, He is revealing Himself as Metsuda (me-tsu-DAH), a fortress, providing Alyssa rest and preparation in the safety of His protection.
“He who dwells in the shelter of the Most high will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust.” Psalm 91:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment